06 January 2014

a christmas gift

My favorite (and most shocking) Christmas gift went like this.

Christmas Eve Scott and I slept over at my parent's house. It was late by the time we all settled down for bed, so we were exhausted. Scott mentioned something about going over to his parent's house to wrap up some last minute gifts the next morning. It made sense to me, so I quickly drifted off to sleep, with this man by my side. 


When I woke up in the morning, Scott was already gone, but I figured he was "finishing up some presents" like he told me. I helped my mom with breakfast and called Scott to get him back over to eat with us. As he walked in the door, my mom screamed. I quickly looked up, stared at him for a few seconds, then started screaming as well. My clean-shaven husband was back: the handsome, scruffy, fun-to-kiss husband. 
I won't lie, I might have teared up a bit. 
It was quite shocking, and I had honestly forgotten what he looked like without a beard. 



Christmas night was filled with screams from other family members and aunts telling him how handsome he is. 
(Which might have carried on to the next Sunday, where many older women at church told Scott what a handsome man he is.)

That night, I went to sleep with my favorite Christmas present by my side. 


2 comments: