15 October 2014

on moving to Vegas


I've been procrastinating writing this post. Mostly because I'm not the best at setting aside time for the blog, but also because I really didn't want to have to think through my feelings on this and share them. 

Scott and I moved to Nevada at the beginning of September. Of course, it was a pain in the butt and destroyed all our energy. But, both moving out and into our places we were able to have SO much help from family and people in the neighborhood (thankyouthankyouthankyou). After saying goodbye to our families, we began our 6+ hour drive with loads of snacks and a walkie talkie in each car (cue plenty of dirty jokes and obnoxious noises - those walkie talkies were just too fun). Later that night we made in into sweltering Las Vegas with my in-laws there to welcome us home. 

Side note: It might be confusing if I don't clarify, but our living situation is sort of interesting. We're now living in my in-law's second house, with my sister-in-law and her family. Luckily, with a house full of six people it doesn't feel too full, but really it's just nice to be one giant family. 

Now, after living here for one month, I'm not going to say we're in love with the place we live. I forget how hard it is to completely uproot and find new friends, a new job (for me), and merge with a new church ward. Plus, I can't stand how spread out this city is; everything takes 20-30 minutes to get anywhere. We miss the ease of going up a canyon and the ability to walk around a quaint city, but we're glad we get to spend more time with our family here in Vegas. 

Scott is doing great with his job. Although he'll complain about working at the strip, seeing him excel and find joy through this leadership position makes me so happy. 
On the other hand, I'm still searching for a job, and often fill my time with baking, crafts, french lessons, and reading books.
Meanwhile, we're both still hoping and praying for some more of that cozy rain we got during our first week here.





No comments:

Post a Comment